Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: joakim
Subject: Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:55:10 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>> The properties are like:
>>
>> "pin" - if t, the window isnt deleted by delete-other-windows
>>
>> "group" - these windows are in a group together and other-window cycles
>> between windows which has the same "group" value. I plan to implement
>> this in next_window().
>>
>> I'm sure theres even better interfaces, so please be honest :)
>>
>> Maybe "pin" and "group" should really be one parameter or whatever.
>
> Can you give examples of what sort of real-world situation they'd be
> used in?

It has been discussed in other threads, but heres a simple example.

I would like a special window that displays information that many
packages choose to display in the mode-line. Lets call this a
status-window.

The special window will for instance display date-time, and what song is
playing in EMMS, and chanel information from ERC.

I dont want this information in every mode-line, just in this special
window.  Also, I dont want this window to be deleted by
delete-other-windows, just as I dont want a windows mode-line to be
deleted implicitly. I also dont want to enter the status-window on
other-window, I just want the window to sit there and display stuff like
a toolbar or whatever. The dedicated flag is not sufficient for this
scenario.

The special window would have "pin" set to t, and "group" set to
something other than nil, perhaps "status".

The ECB has much more advanced use-cases, but works basically this way.
The ECB has for instance a directory browser and a speed-bar sitting in
special windows like these, although the ECB implements this with
advice. The goal is not needing advice to implement what the ECB wants
so ECB can be merged.

Hope this helps.

--
Joakim Verona