Re: Alternative fringe bitmaps for continuation/truncation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Alternative fringe bitmaps for continuation/truncation
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:00:51 -0400

>>> I think they are likely to invite bug reports about corrupted display if we
>>> make them the default.

>> I'd tend to agree, although I must say that with the half-width fringes
>> I use, these continuation icons look better than the slightly truncated
>> arrows (because my fringes aren't wide enough).

> For the continuation bitmaps I don't expect such bug reports -
> the ... idiom is quite well-known, and the curly arrows are so
> much in your face that I suppose many users dislike them.

You might be right.

>> I'm not convinced by the truncation icons, tho.

> I agree that they are a bit too cryptic for general acceptance.

> I think these are much better:

Indeed.  Although at this point I wonder: why not make them of
solid lines?

I also agree with Jason about the centering (although I believe true
"centering" is difficult because these are fixed bitmaps that cannot
adapt to the face&font height, but maybe moving them up a couple pixels
would be good enough).

        Stefan

PS: Also with my half-width fringes, your right truncation arrow looks
less like an arrow than the default arrows: you may want to make them
a bit shorter.