RE: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: RE: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:04:34 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>> Maybe "pin" and "group" should really be one parameter or whatever.
>>
>> Right.  Maybe all the pinned windows can just be in their own group.
>> But maybe conflating the two is not good enough.
>
> My intuition is that conflating the properties is not quite good
> enough, so I will start with two separate properties. I intuit this
> because maybe you want different pinned groups, and maybe you want
> different groups that are not pinned.
>
> However, I have as yet no real use-case for the above options, except
> my status-window example, and the ECB, neither of which seem to
> require both "pin" and "groups".

not true: Especially ECB could have great benefit from the "groups"!
ECB not only displays special "browsing" windows but often also a
compile-window which should also be prevented from being deleted but
should handled slightly different - especially the window-switching
commands could benefit from the groups-feature!

Running next-window or other-window in a typical ECB-layout will take
usage of the "group"-parameter!

Klaus

So my recommendation: Do not conflate