Re: 23.0.60; python.el: auto-indentation doesn't work with continuation

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; python.el: auto-indentation doesn't work with continuation lines
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:02:40 -0400

"David Robinow" wrote:

> To clarify, the last line above is aligned with the continued line
> above it, rather than starting at the correct indentation level.
> This is with Dave Love's python.el included in emacs.
>  python-mode.el, by Tim Peters, Barry Warsaw et al, indents this correctly.

So does the python.el in Emacs 22, so it ought not to be too hard to fix.

> Recently there was some discussion about emacs switching to
> python-mode.el (or perhaps trying to merge the two?)
> The authors of python-mode.el, if I remember correctly, expressed
> willingness to assign copyright.

See etc/TODO:

  ** Possibly install python-mode in place of python.el, or combine the two.
  Someone needs to do the work of figuring out who all the non-trivial
  python-mode.el contributors are and getting assignments.
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg02156.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg02201.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg02489.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg02234.html

> Is it proper to look at python-mode.el when making changes to python.el?

IMO no, until the legal issues are fully sorted out. It's my
impression that this may be difficult.