Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:32:40 -0600

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Cleaning up Battle For Wesnoth for the big stable 1.4 release, and
> dealing with the aftermath, took longer and ate more of my bandswidth
> than expected.  But I'm ready to restart serious work on VC now.

I've been meaning to take another look at that game...

> Rumor reached me that RMS chose bzr for our next version control
> system while I was gone.  While I think the essentially political
> ("it's a GNU project") reasoning I heard of behind this was a very
> poor way to make that sort of decision, I can live with it.  I suspect
> either hg or git wiould have mmade a better technical choice, but it's
> not as though bzr actively sucks...

Clearly you haven't used bzr on a project with over 80,000 revisions :).
Importing the Emacs repository into bzr has certainly highlighted some
of the problems with bzr.

I'm only saying this because I don't particularly want to see another
flamewar about how slow bzr log is.

Seriously, the Bazaar guys are working on it already.

> What effort, if any, is being put into migrating the CVS version
> history?  I'd be willing to help with that.

An initial migration of the CVS repository using cvsps has been done.
You can find the results at:

http://bzr.notengoamigos.org

I would strongly recommend that you follow the instructions on that page
and get a pre-made repository.  Of course, I wrote the instructions so I
am almost certainly biased :).

I would also suggest that you get an up to date version of bzr.  The
Bazaar hackers have released a major update about once a month for some
time now with all of these updates making fairly major improvements.  It
is entirely possible that the bzr client that ships with whatever
distribution your using is old enough that it won't even read the format
that the test repository is in.

The current stable version is 1.3.1, but 1.4 is going to be released
imminently, and I believe that it will contain several fixes prompted by
the Emacs test of bzr.  If you are serious about playing with Emacs and
bzr you probably should just check out bzr.dev and use that :).

I am currently working on an entirely different import using some of the
work that has already been done in various git repositories.

> What's the state of play on deploying an issue tracker?
>
> I have Dan Nicolaeacu's VC todo list; there are several entries I
> think I can knock off pretty quickly.  Big props to Dan for his
> excellent work.
>
> Are there any know, urgent VC bugs I should address first?

I have no ideas about the rest of this :).

Jason