Re: font-backend branch

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: font-backend branch
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 00:48:09 +0100

Kenichi Handa wrote:
As for Windows port:

I tried to compile it on Windows in cygwin environment.  By,
"make bootstrap", it seems that src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe is
created, but the make failed at the target finder-data of
lisp/makefile.
This is because Cygwin make passes invalid paths to Emacs.

  And, when I run src/oo-spd/i386/emacs, it
starts up without an error, but, non-ASCII characters are
not correctly displayed by garbage glyphs.

The new code seems to be making a poor choice of font for Latin-1 characters, it is choosing a symbol font which does not contain the characters for me. This was triggering a bug that is also present in the trunk which caused the crash that Juanma experienced. The choice of font for other Latin characters is also not optimal, as the font used for ASCII contains most of these characters, but in the font-backend branch other fonts are chosen.

In addition to the bug mentioned above, I got another crash while displaying etc/HELLO which was caused by using s->face->font in w32font_draw. Changing it to use s->font works, but I have no idea what the difference is between these two, and why s->face->font would be NULL while s->font points to a valid font.