Re: Proposal: diff-remove-trailing-blanks

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Proposal: diff-remove-trailing-blanks
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 03:04:08 +0200

Vinicius Jose Latorre <address@hidden> writes:

>>>      (while (re-search-forward "^[+!>].*?[ \t]+$" (point-max) t)
>>>

>> As every change indicator is followed by a white space in non-unified
>> format, this regexp matches every change on normal and context
>> formats. This is not bad, as the trailing whitespace condition is tested
>> again below for the source file, which is what matters. But then, you
>> could use a simpler regexp above ("^[+!>]", for instance), for behaving
>> the same with diff formats.
>>

> Ok, but the search in diff buffer is only for modified lines with
> trailing blanks,
> so there is less finds/replacements in the source file.

Precisely, my point is that non-unified format has a trailing blank for
empty new lines, even when the new line has no trailing blank. You can
check that yourself adding an empty new line to a file, diff it in
`context' or `normal' format and you can check that the diff has a blank
space after the `>' or `+'.

[snip]

>> Do you intend to install it on CVS soon?
>>

> Well, can I install diff-kill-trailing-whitespace
> and diff-show-trailing-whitespace into diff-mode?

The reason I would prefer diff-mode.el for those features, is that you
can also install a key sequence for it (I suggested C-c C-k). If you do
not receive authorization from an Emacs maintainer for adding the
functions to diff-mode, just rename them to whitespace-kill-from-diff or
something and install them in whitespace.el.

--
Oscar