Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Ready to start serious work on VC mode again
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 21:27:34 +1200

 > > > Are there any know, urgent VC bugs I should address first?
 > >
 > > Things that hit me is that using multiple backends does not appear to be
 > > robust.  I have some CVS directory with some files checked into git (but
 > > not all).  When I use C-x v l to get a log file from a file only present
 > > in git, and then type RET on some log entry, vc bombs out because it
 > > wants to see the file being in CVS.
 > >
 > > Those logs should likely use a local variable to hardware the VC they
 > > are supposed to work with.
 >
 > Noted; I'll look into this.
 >
 > Actually, the fact that this is the only "known, urgent" bug report
 > I've received is encouraging.  Multiple back ends is kind of a wacky
 > edge case; if this is the worst problem VC currently has, it's in
 > *good* shape.

I've not followed VC development closely but surely this can't be right.  Dan
(or someone else) has placed a whole load of TODO items in vc.el.  I still use
vc-dired instead of vc-dir because it doesn't respect
vc-stay-local/vc-cvs-stay-local.  You will also find issues in the archives,
e.g.,

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg00664.html