Re: Next release

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 18:49:01 +0900

> *On Sat, 03 May 2008 04:09:13 -0400
> * Also sprach Richard M Stallman <address@hidden>:

>> Is it planned to merge Cocoa port (emacs-app.sf.net) into the trunk for
>> this freeze? Since Carbon port is dead, if Cocoa not merged, there will
>> be no support of MacOSX 10.5 in trunk (IIRC trunk cannot build with X on
>> 10.5).
>>
>> I seem to recall that the Cocoa port also works with GNUstep.
>> Is that correct?
> Sure as said in its home site (http://emacs-app.sf.net):

> ,----
> | NeXT/OpenStep Emacs for GNUstep and OS X
> |
> | This is a port of the latest GNU Emacs source to the OpenStep (or
> | NeXTstep) APIs, as implemented by Cocoa on OS X as well as the GNUstep
> | open source project.
> `----

GNUstep is currently one of CANNOT_DUMP platforms, and we have to make
sure if Emacs 23 works on such platforms.  Especially, preloading of
term/*-win.el, which was introduced by multi-tty, might cause some
problem on such platforms if it was changed by necessity.  Otherwise,
the preloading was actually unnecessary for multi-tty and it was
slipped into the unrelated multi-tty merger.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden