Re: Next release

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 10:57:17 +0900

> We're still waiting for someone to actually finish the merge w.r.t
> the Carbon port.  This can only be done by someone who understand
> enough of the Carbon port.  You seem like our best hope here.

As I said in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00419.html, I
don't have a plan to develop the Carbon (not Carbon+AppKit) port of
Emacs 23.

> I do not know why you seem to be so offended by the multi-tty code.
> Maybe if you explained it, we could work it through.  Its being
> non-working and without anybody willing to fix it is basically the
> main reason why we started to look into the Emacs.app code.  It is a
> pity to throw away this code.

The breakage of the Carbon port is definitely NOT a reason.  Well, one
of the reasons would be that I found some changes that are totally
unrelated to multi-tty.  Another reason is no clear explanation given
about preloading term/*-win.

>> Just like you literally replaced `next-line' with `forward-line' to
>> remove byte-compiler warnings without considering their meanings.

> Everybody makes mistakes.  Now, can we go back to improving Emacs
> instead of bitching at each other?

Yes, of course.  But some level of carefulness would be expected for
those who have a write access, I think.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden