Re: Next release

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 19:06:50 -0700

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

  > > Yidong, does this work OK with the goals for the 22 branch?  Allow
  > > development for the Mac, and only minor bug fixes for the other
  > > platforms?  Will a quick security fix release work in this scenario?
  >
  > Of course, these changes have been made in a way that the branch is
  > always ready to a sudden release.

That is not the issue here, the issue is in the lines excessively
trimmed: do the stated rules for "only minor fixes" apply everywhere or
there are some exceptions.  And if there are exceptions, what are those
exceptions.

  > >> What was the motivation to do that then?  If you were familiar with
  > >> either Carbon or multi-tty, I could understand that.  Did you want
  > >> to pretend as if multi-tty was ready to get merged to the trunk?
  >
  > > Thanks again, questioning a gift and bashing the giver is indeed the
  > > ideal way to treat the giver.  No good deed should ever go
  > > unpunished!
  >
  > It seemed to me that you just superficially removed compilation
  > errors, with minimal test (you said that it was minimally-tested).
  > Just like you literally replaced `next-line' with `forward-line' to
  > remove byte-compiler warnings without considering their meanings.

Thank you yet again for your graciousness!  Again given statements like:

"As for Mac, I'm planning to quit the development of the Carbon port
for Emacs 23, as the Cocoa/GNUstep port will replace it on that
version.  So, personally I don't care if multitty is incompatible with
the current Carbon code as long as it is not for Emacs 22.x (x > 1)."

and the excellent job at whining, moaning and dissing the multi-tty
effort, coupled with no code/documentation or any other type of positive
contribution should be appreciated as a great upper hand that can be
used to disparage volunteer work by other people.  Marvelous!