Re: Next release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 23:21:37 -0400

>> We're still waiting for someone to actually finish the merge w.r.t
>> the Carbon port.  This can only be done by someone who understand
>> enough of the Carbon port.  You seem like our best hope here.

> As I said in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00419.html, I
> don't have a plan to develop the Carbon (not Carbon+AppKit) port of
> Emacs 23.

By "Carbon" I mean both Carbon and Carbon+AppKit, since I don't know the
actual difference between the two.

>> I do not know why you seem to be so offended by the multi-tty code.
>> Maybe if you explained it, we could work it through.  Its being
>> non-working and without anybody willing to fix it is basically the
>> main reason why we started to look into the Emacs.app code.  It is a
>> pity to throw away this code.

> The breakage of the Carbon port is definitely NOT a reason.  Well, one
> of the reasons would be that I found some changes that are totally
> unrelated to multi-tty.

Yes, the merge had its share of problems, but the fact that Lorentey
wasn't around made it worse.  But I don't know what unrelated change you
may be thinking about.

> Another reason is no clear explanation given
> about preloading term/*-win.

There was some explanation given via email at some point.  IIRC, the
issue is that the multi-tty feature introduced the possibility that an
Emacs session that starts using X11 (resp tty) may later be asked to
open a tty (resp X11) terminal.  But loading *-win.el after Emacs has
been running for a while apparently introduced problems, so the code was
changed to eagerly load all the term/*-win.el files that may be used
later on during the session.  At that point, since x-win.el is loaded
regardless of whether we only use X11 or tty, it is a perfect candidate
for preloading.
Why is that a problem?

        Stefan