Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:19:53 +0100

On 4 May 2008, at 22:06, R. P. Dillon wrote:

Out of that post came a comment that having "real" browsing capability inside of Emacs would be a killer feature. I tend to agree. I *live* in Emacs and Firefox.

A browser inside Emacs: do you agree that this would only make sense if all text editing was governed by Emacs, i.e. each text area was handled by Emacs directly as a buffer?
(Is that doable with the new Gecko library?)

In that case, why not have an extra port of Emacs that would provide a "text area widget" (and maybe more) to be used as library by other applications written in GTK/GNUStep/Cocoa/whatever frameworks?