Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding

From: R. P. Dillon
Subject: Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 14:33:51 -0700

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:19 PM, David Reitter <address@hidden> wrote:
A browser inside Emacs: do you agree that this would only make sense if all text editing was governed by Emacs, i.e. each text area was handled by Emacs directly as a buffer?
(Is that doable with the new Gecko library?)

It would make the most sense to have the text areas in gecko governed by Emacs.  It does complicate things, however; I don't think libxul provides that level of transparency into what it renders, though I am quite ignorant of both libxul and Emacs at the C level.  Of course, if libxul offered the same plugin architecture that Firefox does, then a plugin like It's All Text could be used to call emacsclient when editting text areas.  Seems a bit like the snake eating its tail, but it may be a reasonable first cut at the concept.

In that case, why not have an extra port of Emacs that would provide a "text area widget" (and maybe more) to be used as library by other applications written in GTK/GNUStep/Cocoa/whatever frameworks?

This is a possibilty - my focus was less on Emacs as a text editor, and more on the buffer management, search, window configurations (C-x r w) and kill ring sharing that embedding would offer.  Of course, being able to edit text areas in Emacs would be icing on the cake.