Re: Emacs can't be built without recent makeinfo

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Emacs can't be built without recent makeinfo
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:15:14 +1200

 > > How about doing the same kind of thing as is now done with X and image
 > > libraries: by default configure aborts if these are missing, but you
 > > can pass an option to indicate you want to build without them.
 >
 > Well, that was such a popular idea that I implemented it.

But this isn't what is done for all image libraries, is it?  ISTR that with
some libraries, configure just informs the user that they're not there and
builds Emacs without them.  This is what I was suggesting, and I think Jason
might be saying (I've lost his messages).  I'm just not expert enough to
implement that and might end up doing more harm than good.