Bug with S-Tab in keymaps

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Bug with S-Tab in keymaps
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:11:52 +0000

Hi, Emacs!

I'm Running Emacs 22.2 in a Linux tty.

I've been having severe trouble with the binding S-Tab, as required by
Drew's Icicles.

When I type <shift>-<tab>, what comes out of my function-key-map is
#x2000009, that is \C-i together with the b25.

By contrast, the pertinent entry in icicle-mode-map is
(S-tab . icicle-generic-S-tab).

(lookup-key icicle-mode-map [#x2000009]) fails to find the binding for
S-Tab.

Should S-Tab be stored in a keymap as a symbol or a number?  Or are both
valid?  Which is the canonical form?  Where should the conversion from
the uncanonical form to the canonical be done?

I think this should be fixed before the next release.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).