Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:14:35 -0400

    A browser inside Emacs: do you agree that this would only make sense
    if all text editing was governed by Emacs, i.e. each text area was
    handled by Emacs directly as a buffer?
    (Is that doable with the new Gecko library?)

I agree.  If it is a matter only of having a browser display inside
the Emacs frame, we might as well do so by fork/exec'ing the other
program and telling it to display on part of the Emacs frame.

    In that case, why not have an extra port of Emacs that would provide a
    "text area widget" (and maybe more) to be used as library by other
    applications written in GTK/GNUStep/Cocoa/whatever frameworks?

I think that is a separate issue, but it would be a good feature.