C-x 3 (split-window-horizontally) & C-x 1 (delete-other-windows)

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: C-x 3 (split-window-horizontally) & C-x 1 (delete-other-windows)
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 14:16:26 -0400

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
 of 2008-05-05 on nyc-qws-005
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--prefix=/mnt/office/dev/opt'

When I split the emacs window horizontally and maximize the frame (X
window), I get two 80-char-wide buffers + wide menu bar which can
accommodate even the dired menus, which is very convenient.
I see 2 issues with this arrangement:

1. even though I can imagine that I might want to have one 160-char-wide
   window every once in a while, by far the more common situation would
   be wanting to preserve 2 columns.  Thus I would want C-x 1 to delete
   all other windows in the current column and leave the other column
   intact (as if the other column were a separate frame glued to this
   one side by side)

2. it would be nice to be able to drag the separator between the columns
   with the mouse to resize the windows, much like it is done with the
   vertically split windows (one can drag the mode line).

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
http://jihadwatch.org http://camera.org http://pmw.org.il