Re: C-x 3 (split-window-horizontally) & C-x 1 (delete-other-windows)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: C-x 3 (split-window-horizontally) & C-x 1 (delete-other-windows)
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 23:19:31 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> You don't need an extra package, but it seems you have to disable
>> scroll-bar-mode.  (IMO that's a bug, isn't it?)
>
> If you use fringes you can try the attached functions.  I once tried
> to detect lateral down-mouse-1's on the scroll-bar but gave up soon.

Please don't.  I find it a complete abomination that MS Windows'
scrollbars snap back if you accidentally skid off sideways while
dragging (dragging exactly vertically is rather hard).

Having this operation resize the windows would be even worse.  I don't
want to be forced into having to steady my hand horizontally when doing
a vertical operation.

The annoyance possibly would be less if the larger of the drag offsets
(X or Y) would win out, but that means that the drag mode might jump
from one to the other with a somewhat jarring effect.