Re: Next release

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 09:38:44 +0900

>> Then that would be the solution to the problem that the X11 build
>> does not bootstrap on Darwin.

> Doesn't it?  I have missed the corresponding discussion, sorry.  Is
> there some detailed info about it somewhere?

This one.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg02165.html

One of the messages in this thread also mentioned that:

> Is it planned to merge Cocoa port (emacs-app.sf.net) into the trunk
> for this freeze? Since Carbon port is dead, if Cocoa not merged,
> there will be no support of MacOSX 10.5 in trunk (IIRC trunk cannot
> build with X on 10.5).

> If delaying the load of x-win.el resolves this problem, then maybe
> it's a good solution.  It would be good to try and figure out what's
> the root cause of the problem, tho, of course.

>> It would also reduce the required STATIC_HEAP_SIZE in sheap.c for
>> Cygwin.

> Does preloading x-win.el make a large difference here?  If so, does
> anybody know why?

I guess .el requires more resources in preloading than .elc.  I think
it's a good idea not to preload unnecessary .el at this stage.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden