Re: vc-directory breakage

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: vc-directory breakage
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 20:48:49 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
> "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > To my knowledge, VC is not in a broken state now.  Stefan fixed one of
>   > the blocker bugs yesterday, probably while I was flat on my back and
>   > hooked up to a heart monitor, and I got the other one this morning.
>
> There still are some issues. This:
>
> (defun vc-generic-status-printer (fileentry)
>   (let* ((file (vc-dir-fileinfo->name fileentry))
>          (backend (vc-responsible-backend file)))
>     (vc-call-backend backend 'status-printer fileentry)))
>
> is not quite right.
> (vc-dir-fileinfo->name fileentry) is not an absolute file name, doing
> vc-responsible-backend on that is not going to work.

Ah.  There's some Lisp function I need to wrap that arg in to make
it a full pathname, then; I've forgotten which it is, though.  If you
remember before I do, feel free to fix it.

> Also please put the backend in a buffer-local variable in the vc-dir
> buffer, that way all the vc-responsible-backend calls in vc-generic-* can be
> eliminated.
> With that change this code will work.
> It does not work right now for at least hg, git and svn.

The recommended change may be a good idea, but I'm not sure.  Those backend
checks are now being done at file granularity because some people were vocal
about support for mixing multiple VCSes in a directory.    If we depended
on a per-directory buffer-local variable, that would get more difficult.

What is the actual failure you are seeing?