Re: Redesigh of the VC front end

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Redesigh of the VC front end
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 04:08:03 -0400

Karl Fogel <address@hidden>:
> When you say "repo", do you sometimes mean what Subversion would call
> the "working copy" and sometimes mean what Subversion would call the
> "repository"?
>
> For commits, I interpret your "repo" as the former, but when you said
> "log-print" I interpreted it as the latter...

Your interpretation was correct.  Sorry, my terminology was sloppy.

> > 2. When the backend supports the concept, every vc-dir buffer has a
> > special top-line entry that can be marked to select the entire repo.
>
> ...and especially here I'd like to really understand what you mean by
> "repo", so I can understand exactly what the above-proposed behavior is.

In Subversion's case, that would be the entire checkout.  So, for
example, you could specify "svn log ." by selecting "." and keying C-x
v l, but "svn log" by selecting the top line entry.

I believe these cases behave slighly differently in Subversion.  If I am
wrong, feel free to correct me.

> Hope you're feeling better now,

I spent most of Monday sleeping and rehydrating, but did manage to get
a bit of refactoring work done on the mode during my brief awake
periods.  This was actually therapeutic; my morale is greatly helped
by being able to code.

It's about 0400 now and I'm hacking because I'm slept out, I've kept
down the chicken soup my wife fed me and our household symbiote has
been helpful in her usual fashion -- it's hard to feel completely
miserable with an affectionate cat purring against one's chest.  I'm
not physically back up to 100% yet, but my head is clear; I think I'll
be OK tomorrow.