Re: Carbon port and multi-tty

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Carbon port and multi-tty
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 12:49:38 -0500

On Tue, 06 May 2008 12:55:28 -0400 Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

CY> This concerns the recent drama over the Carbon port and multi-tty.
CY> As I understand, in the CVS tree the Carbon port is unmaintained, since
CY> Yamamoto Mitsuharu has declined to continue supporting Carbon for Emacs
CY> 23 and no other developer has offered to take on his role.  We can't let
CY> the lack of a maintainer for a non-free software platform stall Emacs
CY> development indefinitely.  Thus, merging multi-tty into the trunk was
CY> the correct decision, even if we couldn't---and apparently still
CY> can't---find a developer to make it work properly on Carbon.  I'm glad
CY> that Dan at least tried to work on it, even if he didn't manage to
CY> finish the job.  If you're disturbed by the remaining problems on
CY> Carbon, please try working on a fix instead of complaining.

I thought one of the reasons the Carbon port is unmaintained in CVS is
that the Emacs.app code, which uses Cocoa, is likely to replace it (at
least that was my understanding from the many discussions and the
impression I got from Stefan Monnier's message linked below).  See:

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3cjwvk5kjijh6.fsf%2dmonnier%2bemacs%40gnu.org%3e
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?group=gmane.emacs.devel&article=91230

If this is incorrect, please let me know.

Ted