Heads up, VC front end about to undergo major surgery

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Heads up, VC front end about to undergo major surgery
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 19:57:37 -0400 (EDT)

I've done as much as I can by refactoring and cutting away
undergrowth.  While I'll do my best to prevent actual breakage, the
upcoming round of changes to the VC front end are likely to be
somewhat disruptive.  Please have patience over the next few days;
I expect to be through the risky part by Friday or so.

This is going to be the part where I exploit ewoc to pass directories
down to the backends, relying on them to perform the right expansiuon
to lists of files rather that doing that at the level of the VC front
end.  (We couldn't do this when the directory browser was tied to
Dired because directories aren't first-class in Dired-land).

There are two kinds of things likely to go wrong:

(1) The behavior of the UI is going to be modified along the lines I
described in my design proposal.  The actions of some commands will
change in subtle ways; especially in edge cases like (a) no selection
set or (b) unregistered files.  You may see behaviors that, though
logically consistent, differ from what experience has led you to expect.

(2) Various backend methods may just crap out when handed a directory
instead of a file list.  It is difficult to anticipate this sort of
problem, so please complain to the list if you run afoul of one and
I'll fix it ASAP.