Re: 23.0.60; new frames ignore set-default-font

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; new frames ignore set-default-font
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 12:34:42 +0100

Jim Hunziker wrote:
I am using the Xft font backend and Emacs from CVS.  I am using the
Andale Mono-13 font from msttcorefonts.

When using the setting (set-default-font "Andale Mono-13") in my
.emacs file, new frames created with M-x 5 2 don't use the default
font.  (The initial frame does use the font.)

I think this is by design. set-default-font is an alias for set-frame-font, and it only sets the default font for the current frame. To set the font for future frames, you need to set the font frame-parameter in default-frame-alist.