Re: Uncomprehensible DOC string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Uncomprehensible DOC string
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 08:55:57 +0200

>> There is no mention what it means to invoke a file handler, what calling
>> the file handler is supposed to be good for, what the file handler is
>> actually going to handle (we just know that it is chosen _based_ on
>> default-directory, not what it is supposed to work on), and there is no
>> cross reference to manual or other DOC strings that would explain about
>> what a file handler actually is.
>
> See (info "(elisp)Magic File Names") and (info "(elisp)Asynchronous
> Processes") I'll add links to these entries into the doc string
> tonight.

That addresses the last partial sentence of my report.  What about the
rest?  There is no sense to leave a fragmentary explanation in the DOC
string when you need to read up the function's behavior elsewhere,
anyhow.  The manual reference should be there to explain the _terms_
used in the DOC string, but the DOC string should still be _complete_
once the terms are clear.