Re: 23.0.60; Umlaut chars with 'face property set to 'bold aren't displa

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Umlaut chars with 'face property set to 'bold aren't displayed in bold with --disable-font-backend
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 17:30:52 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I use a very recent CVS checkout compiled with --disable-font-backend.
>>>
>>>      (insert (propertize "testÜÄÖüäößtest" 'font-lock-face 'bold))
>>>
>>> The umlauts between the "test"s won't be displayed in bold, although
>>> the misc-fixed font contains bold versions of all those chars.
>>
>> Can you reproduce this without compiling with --disable-font-backend,
>> or in Emacs 22?
>
> When compiling without --disable-font-backend all chars are bold.

Some short addition: When compiled without --disable-font-backend

  (insert (propertize "testÜÄÖüäößtest" 'font-lock-face 'bold))

makes all chars bold when using

  Emacs.FontBackend: x
  Emacs.Font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1

in my ~/.Xdefaults, which is different from what you get with
--disable-font-backend.

But for example in latex-mode when editing LaTeX files the text in

  \section{foo bar baz föö bär bäz}

is displayed in a bigger font (font-latex-sectioning-X-face), but again,
the umlauts are not.  The same applies to emacs compiled with
--disable-font-backend.

describe-face lists the correct faces, but what's actually displayed is
the default face with only the foreground color of the sectioning face.

Bye,
Tassilo