auth-source glue in url-auth.el (was: nnrss and password handling)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: auth-source glue in url-auth.el (was: nnrss and password handling)
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 14:47:23 -0500

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:15:15 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:25:51 +0200 Lynbech Christian <address@hidden>
wrote:
LC> I am tracking some RSS feeds via nnrss which are password protected. Is
LC> there any way to hardwire these passwords, rather than having to type
LC> them in each time I start gnus?

LC> I was hoping for a mechanism akin to ~/.authinfo that for instance
LC> nnimap uses.

Hi Christian,

I set up auth-source glue for url-auth.el to achieve what you wanted.
The attached patch, which is not in CVS yet, is against today's Emacs
CVS.  The Gnus CVS HEAD has the auth-source.el code you'll need,
including the comments on what to put in your authinfo/netrc file.

I tested against the sample feeds I found in
http://labs.silverorange.com/archives/2003/july/privaterss and this
seems to work fine:

(nnrss-fetch
"http://labs.silverorange.com/local/solabs/rsstest/httpauth/rss_with_auth.xml";)

Please test it yourself if you can.

The patch will match any realm when looking for a host/login/password
combination.  I decided to go with a less flexible approach for
simplicity; I think it's rare to need more than one realm per host and
whoever does can always customize the underlying url-auth-* variables.

Emacs developers, please let me know if there's any problems with the
patch before I commit it into CVS.  I'm being cautious because
url-auth.el is used by so many other libraries indirectly.  If it's OK,
I'll commit it after the weekend.

Thanks
Ted