Re: :file keyword for Customize

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: :file keyword for Customize
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 06:17:43 +0900

Ted Zlatanov writes:

 > Please consider my actual use cases that substantiate the need for
 > separate custom files.  If you think they are not generally
 > applicable, fine, but don't use hyperbole to derail the discussion.

Your security use case clearly substantiates the need for separate
files, but also pretty much rules out the use of customize in my
opinion.  For example, use of customize to customize authentification
information almost certainly will leave that information in memory,
for root, somebody who has compromised your account, or a core dump to
access in clear.

Certainly you might want to use *some* of the widget machinery for
formatting input screens, but the actual input handling should be
special-cased in the same way functions that handle passwords are.