Re: dired-jump keybinding and autoload

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dired-jump keybinding and autoload
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 02:52:30 +0300

>> C-x C-j arguably is something we want to provide by default, I think, so
>> it should probably be moved from dired-x to dired proper.
>
> ... I think this would be the best solution (for dired-jump; there are
> still one or two other autoloaded commands in dired-x that according to
> the logic of the expressed intention shouldn't be).

`C-x C-j' is a global key binding, unlike other dired keys.  But I agree
that dired-jump is useful enough to deserve its global key binding,
and I know no other package that would conflict with it.

The only drawback of this command is that it doesn't allow reading
an arbitrary file name.  I propose to change its argument so that
`C-u C-x C-j' will read the file name from the minibuffer (with the
default to the current file name), and keep the existing key binding
`C-x 4 C-j' to use the other window.  This change could be made
after copying dired-jump to dired.el, because anyway it requires
rewriting to get rid of dired-x specific code like using dired-omit-mode.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/