Re: regexp does not work as documented

From: David Koppelman
Subject: Re: regexp does not work as documented
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 14:18:59 -0500

I was able to reproduce the problem with Bruno Haible's testcase and
font-lock-multiline t does "fix" it. However martin rudalics warns that
font-lock-multiline won't work for all cases and provides an example
idea (below). I can't get that to fail. That is, with
font-lock-multiline t the text was correctly fontified (though after a
pause). My realization of the example was to remove and then add the
first quotation mark from one of the interior lines below (also
tried with more quoted lines):

msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: GNU gettext-tools 0.16.2-pre5\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: address@hidden"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2007-11-02 03:23+0100\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2007-10-27 13:35+0200\n"
"Last-Translator: Christophe Combelles <address@hidden>\n"
"Last-Translator: Christophe Combelles <address@hidden>\n"

The fix I'm contemplating would be to warn the user when a multi-line
regexp was added interactively and font-lock-multiline was nil, and then
perhaps to offer to set font-lock-multiline to t (or to not set it, or
to stop asking).