Re: 23.0.60; Slowdown in directory scanning over time.

From: Len Trigg
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Slowdown in directory scanning over time.
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:25:35 +1200

Len Trigg wrote:
> If I evaluate the following code:
>
>   (let ((time-initial (current-time))
>         (files (directory-files
> "/home2/len/reeltwo_sandboxes/vetech/src/com/vetech/datamodel")))
>     (message (format "Took %d seconds to list %d files" (time-to-seconds
> (time-subtract (current-time) time-initial)) (length files))))
>
> with the emacs I just had running (which had been open for several
> days, but only had approximately 35 buffers open), the output said it
> took between 2 and 3 seconds to list 166 files.  With this freshly
> restarted emacs, it now repeatedly says 0 seconds.  I hope you can pin
> things down to find the actual cause.

Can someone please try to replicate this problem by trying the above
snippet in an emacs that has been running for several days, for a
directory containing many files?  Is this not causing problems for
other people (maybe emacs developers tend not to have long-running
emacs)?  Previously I could have an emacs running for months without
restarting, but now I have to restart it every couple of days because
it gets too slow.

Cheers,
Len.