Re: VC Breakage

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: VC Breakage
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 01:26:22 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>   > > Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>   > >>
>   > >> I'm guessing that the following breakage is related to the VC work
>   > >> Eric is leading.  Admittedly there is an easy workaround posted
>   > >> of security that the problem was so glaring that everybody must be
>   > >> running into it and a fix would magically appear momentarily.  Au
>   > >> contraire.
>   > >
> > > Apparently I just needed to be a little tiny bit more patient as the
>   > > problem is fixed by very recent commits.
>   >
>   > Apparently I needed to be a little more careful in my testing.  The
>   > breakage still does exist but now I know it to be related to the
>   > Subversion back-end as it was the CVS back-end that I tested and that
>   > worked. :-(
>
> Works fine for me.  You might want to bootstrap.

The reason I got the breakage turned out to be that I set
debug-on-error in my .emacs file.  I'm guessing that that is a bug,
but I could easily be wrong.  What's your take?  Again, if I (setq
debug-on-error t) in my .emacs and then do C-x v d on the Emacs source
dir I get the following backtrace (with some byte codes removed to
make Thunderbird happy):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function vc-dir-menu-map-filter)
  (vc-dir-menu-map-filter (quote vc-dir-menu-map))
where-is-internal(vc-dir-find-file (keymap (vc-dir-mode menu-item "VC Status" vc-dir-menu-map :filter vc-dir-menu-map-filter))) tool-bar-local-item-from-menu(vc-dir-find-file "open" (keymap) (keymap #^[nil nil keymap #^^[3 0 nil nil nil ... nil nil nil nil nil vc-dir-next-line nil nil nil vc-dir-find-file nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ... nil nil nil nil vc-dir-next-line nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil negative-argument nil nil ...] #^^[1 0 #^^[2 0 #^^[3 0 nil nil nil ... nil nil nil nil nil vc-dir-next-line nil nil nil vc-dir-find-file nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ... nil nil nil nil vc-dir-next-line nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil negative-argument nil nil ...] nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil] nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil] nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ...] (menu-bar keymap (vc-dir-mode menu-item "VC Status" vc-dir-menu-map :filter vc-dir-menu-map-filter)) (mouse-2 . vc-dir-toggle-mark) (down-mouse-3 . vc-dir-menu) (backtab . vc-dir-previous-line) (remap keymap (self-insert-command . undefined)))) byte-code("..." [current-load-list map vc-dir-mode-map vc-dir-tool-bar-map default-boundp set-default make-sparse-keymap tool-bar-local-item-from-menu vc-dir-find-file "open" tool-bar-local-item "bookmark_add" vc-dir-toggle-mark :help "Toggle mark on current item" vc-dir-previous-line "left-arrow" :rtl "right-arrow" vc-dir-next-line vc-print-log "info" vc-dir-refresh "refresh" nonincremental-search-forward "search" vc-dir-kill-dir-status-process "cancel" quit-window "exit"] 9)
  require(vc-dispatcher)
byte-code("..." [minor-mode-alist require vc-hooks vc-dispatcher tool-bar ewoc assoc vc-parent-buffer (vc-parent-buffer vc-parent-buffer-name) custom-declare-group vc nil "Version-control system in Emacs." :group tools] 6)