Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Slow repainting, sluggish feeling emacs
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:12:49 +0200

David wrote:
I recently re-built emacs 23 from cvs and there's a noticeable delay in many repainting operations. Typing is sluggish and redrawing a buffer when switching to it is noticeably slow.
[snip]

Hi David, have you tried launching emacs with --disable-font-backend to see if it feels more snappy? Oh, just a tiny disclaimer: I haven't built the emacs trunk since some time in febraury so I don't know if that switch is needed or even if it exists anymore, but it did indeed help me with my performace problems I was having a few months ago (also on Windows).

The past few months I've been working on my new job and here we use eclipse and oxygenxml for all our editing needs (xml-files, xml-schemas and java) and I haven't gotten around to keeping up with the trunk on my personal computers.

- Eric