Re: Tool-bar changes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Tool-bar changes
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:17:42 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I've just installed a change in tool-bar.el which delays the call to
>>> find-image.  Instead of being called in tool-bar-setup, it's now called
>>> when looking up the tool-bar keymap.  This may also allow the toolbar
>>> to use different icons on different displays (e.g. some color, some b&w)
>>> in the same Emacs instance.
>>
>> This change did Something Bad to the tool-bar on i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
>> Version 2.12.9.  Only the Cut, Paste, Customize, and Help icons are now
>> displayed on the tool-bar; the other images are missing.
>
> The problem was the the use of plist-get and plist-put in
> tool-bar-make-keymap failed to account for the format of menu-item
> lists, which can contain an optional KEY-BINDING-DATA entry that screws
> up the property list ordering.  I just checked in a fix.

There seems to be a further problem with your patch, somewhere in the
image caching code.  Here is how I am reproducing it:

1. M-x gnus
2. Open a group
3. q q [exit gnus]
4. M-x gnus
5. Open a group

I get an error.  What seems to be happening is that the contents of
tool-bar-find-image-cache are getting corrupted.  Do you see anything
like this happening?