Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:52:44 -0700

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

  >       > I see Emacs executable size grew by more than a factor of 2 after
  >       > Unicode merge.  (This is on Solaris 7 "sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X
  >       > toolkit", with ancient gcc 3.1.)
  >       >
  >       > Does everyone see that, too?
  >
  >     Yes, it's noted in admin/FOR-RELEASE
  >
  > What caused it to grow so much?

Here's what Handa-san said about that:

One possibility is that the difference is because of big CJK
charset maps loaded while creating emacs from temacs.  Just
before dumping, loadup.el calls `clear-charset-maps' which
sets internal vectors and char-tables for charsets to nil,
but the following call of `garbage-collect' doesn't return
those free memory.

I'll try to convert all encodings of language/*.el files to
utf-8 so that Emacs doesn't have to load charset maps in
loadup.el.