ERC disconnects when blocked too long (was: Very interesting analysis of

From: Michael Olson
Subject: ERC disconnects when blocked too long (was: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs")
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:21:23 -0700

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, blocking operations sometimes mess with other applications
> running in Emacs.  E.g., if blocked too long ERC seems to time out its
> connection to irc servers.

Yeah, that is happening because ERC periodically pings the IRC server by
default to make sure that the connection is alive.  When Emacs is
blocked, ERC can't process the server's responses, and it thinks the
connection is dead.  I've been trying to think of a way for ERC to
detect whether it is blocked for more than a certain amount of time, and
take some sort of remedial action like resetting the response timeout.

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |