Re: gnupg interface

From: Hans Halvorson
Subject: Re: gnupg interface
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 06:35:20 -0400

> 2008/5/15 Hans Halvorson <address@hidden>:
> > I built Emacs 23.0.60.1 from CVS on May 14, and it appears that something
> > breaks gnupg interface packages such as crypt++.el and Easypg.
> >
> > When I try to open a gpg encrypted file (sekritz.gpg) with crypt++.el,
> > Emacs hangs with minibuffer message:
> >
> > /home/anonymous/sekrit: 0% (0/1622)
> >
> > When I try to open with easypg (M-x epa-decrypt-file), Emacs hangs with
> > minibuffer message:
> >
> > Decrypting sekritz.gpg...0% (0/1622)

> Probably crypt++.el cannot work in conjunction with EasyPG.  Does the
> situation change if you turn off auto-encryption-mode (EasyPG) or stop

The situation remains the same without loading crypt++.

> > There is no additional information in *Messages*.  I would be grateful
> > for any advice on how to diagnose the problem.

> Could you try again with (setq epg-debug t) and show me the contents
> of " *epg-debug*" buffer (please note that the first character is a
> space)?

I think now that the problem lies not at all with Emacs development,
but with the upgrade to gnupg version 2, which forces (?) the use of
gpg-agent.  It seems that gpg-agent is waiting for a passphrase (for
decryption of the file).  Here is the content of the log on the first
run:

gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0
--output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
[GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
gpg: 3DES encrypted data
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2
can't connect to `/home/anonym/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8

So I start gpg-agent and try again: I do M-x epa-decrypt-file [RET]
~/sekritz.gpg [RET], and Emacs hangs.  So I check my other windows,
and realize that xterm has popped up a curses password dialog
(pinentry-curses).  But things are garbled: when I try to enter the
password, it doesn't work.

Here are the contents of the log after pressing C-g in Emacs:

gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0
--output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
[GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
gpg: 3DES encrypted data
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2

gpg: signal Hangup caught ... exiting

I could not find any documentation for how to set up easypg to work
with gnupg version 2.  Can easypg be used to decrypt gpg files (with
gnupg v 2) when running Emacs in a text terminal?

Thanks,
Hans