Re: Memory leak

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Memory leak
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 02:25:50 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

We have a pretty serious memory leak.
My Emacs session recently died with a memory full situation (the
process was around 500MB VSZ).  So I took a look around and it seem that
every time I create a new frame, my Emacs session grows by around 10MB
and deleting the frame does not recover this memory.
This memory is not accounted for by the counts returned by
`garbage-collect'.

I'm not sure when this problem got introduced, tho the new font code is
a likely culprit.

Just to rule out something obvious (pure space overflow):

M-: (garbage-collect) RET

does not return nil, does it?

I can see a memory leak on w32 of around 240 K in the above operation with a build from 2008-03-01, but not with a build from 2008-01-21 (no build in between starts ok).

(garbage-collect) does not return nil with any of the builds above.

PS: Is there any command line utility that shows memory usage on w32?