Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:57:42 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:

> Since Kenichi Handa's font backend merge yesterday I see different, and
> at least partly buggy, display and redisplay effects.  This shows up
> clearly in some of my customizations, in particular of the mode line and
> the Gnus Summary buffer.  The following screen shots show the
> differences; the top image is post-merge, the bottom pre-merge:

> [2 Post-merge display <image/png (base64)>]

> [3 Pre-merge display <image/png (base64)>]

> Here is a description of the differences I see:

> - In the post-merge image, the underlining I use in the mode line is
> broken, as is the underlining of the current article in the Gnus Summary
> buffer, and the latter underlining touches the bottom of the characters
> in the post-merge image, while there is a (IMO more pleasing) space in
> the pre-merge display.

Please show me how you customize Gnus, and exactly which
font is used in the Gnus summary buffer by C-u C-x =.

> - The fringe arrow in the Summary buffer is redisplayed in the mode
> line.

This is very strange.  The font-backend merge should not
touch fringe displaying.

> - The character size in the mode line is larger in the post-merge image
> than in the pre-merge image (in both it is font family Helvetica).

> - The appearance of the non-ascii characters I use for threading and
> separation in the Summary buffer differs; in particular, the separator
> forms a broken vertical line in the post-merge buffer, while it is a
> continuous vertical line in the pre-merge buffer (except for the line
> containing the Indic characters, which is also misaligned in both
> images).

Please do C-u C-x = on that vertical line to see which font
is used in both version.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden