Re: Build error with _UNICODE on w32.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build error with _UNICODE on w32.
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:01:22 +0300

> From: KOBAYASHI Yasuhiro <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 22:33:33 +0900
>
> In message Re: Build error with _UNICODE on w32.
>  on Sat, 17 May 2008 10:19:31 +0300
>  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > I get the following error at w32.c:774.
> > > It was not occured before 9 May 2008.
>
> > What do you mean by ``with _UNICODE''?
>
> It means I execute the following configure.bat.
>
> $ ./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --cflags \
>   -I/usr/local/include --cflags -D_UNICODE

I wasn't aware this is even supported.  It is certainly not
used/tested enough to be recommended for general use.  We don't
consistently use the TCHAR type or any other types that magically
switch to wchar_t under UNICODE compilation, and freely mix text
strings returned from Windows APIs with plain `char *' pointers and
strings.  To get Emacs support the Unicode Windows APIs will take a
major overhaul of the code.

What did you expect to get with the -D_UNICODE switch that you don't
get without it?