Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8

From: Patrick Drechsler
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:00:50 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I'm not sure you are barking the right tree.  AFAIK, Microsoft
>> doesn't use UTF-8 at all, they use UTF-16 (where a BOM is generally
>> necessary).
>
> What Miles is talking about is certain Microsoft software (including
> their XML library), which when saving to UTF-8 writes a UTF-8 encoded
> 0xFEFF at the start of the file. Its probably caused by first encoding
> in UTF-16 then transcoding to UTF-8.

This seems to be the problem in my case: A microsoft .NET application
adds the BOM to the xml file which is encoded as utf-8.

Thanks to all for the instructive feedback on this issue!

I second the opinion that it would be nice to have the option to hide
(or remove) the BOM while editing the file in Emacs and reinserting it
(if it was removed) when done editing. Otherwise one is not able to
validate the rest of the xml file using nxml.

Cheers,

Patrick