Re: Updated project-specific settings patch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Updated project-specific settings patch
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:51:02 -0400

> A long while ago I was working on a patch to allow project-specific
> settings for Emacs.  Here's the updated version of this patch.

> I tried to incorporate all the feedback on previous versions of this
> patch into the current patch.  In particular:

> * Now a patch to files.el, not a separate file.

> * Reuses the hack-local-variables code to query the user about risky
>   settings.

> * Search for directory settings is limited to a single file name,
>   ".dir-settings.el".

Thank you.  It looks good.  I just have a few minor wishes below, but
otherwise, feel free to install it.

> +     (let ((buf (get-buffer-create (if project "*Directory Variabes*"
> +                                     "*Local Variables*"))))

Better use the same buffer name *Local Variables*.

> +       ((file-exists-p (concat dir ".dir-settings.el"))
> +     (setq result (concat dir ".dir-settings.el")))

In most cases, we'd prefer (expand-file-name ".dir-settings.el" dir)
over the use of `concat'.  The only exception I know is when `dir' is
relative and it's important for the result also be relative.

One more thing: since we want to include CEDET and CEDET has its own
notion of "project data", we want to try and get those two things
to converge.

So please try and work out with address@hidden what convergence might
look like.

        Stefan