Re: Memory leak

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Memory leak
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:48:57 +0200

Werner LEMBERG skrev:
Valgrind just craches when run on Emacs.  Emacs memory handling is too
much for valgrind.  It is the undump think that it doesn't understand.

What about contacting the valgrind guys directly for help?  I think
that Emacs would get *huge* benefits if checked with it.

If my memory is correct, someone already did that. I must search the mail archives. I think the Emacs way of doing things was too special for the valgrind guys to devote time to. I actually agree with that. From what I recall, it was the saving and restoring of malloc state during dump and undump that was the main problem. Valgrind has no way of correctly capture this state and begin tracking from there.

        Jan D.