Re: Updated project-specific settings patch

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Updated project-specific settings patch
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:02:28 -0400

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong> Could you also write a patch for the Emacs manual?  (It doesn't have to
> Chong> be ready before you check in the code, but the sooner the better.)
>
> The patch included a change to doc/emacs/custom.texi.

I missed that part of your patch.  Sorry for the noise.  I've read it
now, and have a couple of minor comments.

  Emacs provides a way to specify local variable values per-directory.
  This can be done one of two ways.

This is confusingly worded: is there "a way" or "two ways"?  I suggest
changing this to:

  Directory variables are file-local variables that apply to all the
  files within a directory.  You can define directory variables in two
  ways.

Also,

  Unsafe directory-local variables are handled in the same way as
  unsafe file-local variables.

You need to be more specific about what happens when the user tries to
define unsafe directory-local variables.

On another note: does your patch include a enable-directory-variables
option, analogous to enable-local-variables, that allows the user to
turn off directory variable scanning?  If not, maybe should.