Re: Profiling Emacs on M$

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Profiling Emacs on M$
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:44:16 +0530

Hello,

On 5/21/08, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> redisplay functions dominate.  When I do this using Free profiling software
> (gprof), it shows w32font_text_extents as being the most significant
> consumer of CPU time outside of garbage collection and waiting for input. It
> would be interesting if you can replicate those results, as that would prove
> that using proprietary software does not give any advantage here.

Both tools give the same information, hence the point is proved.
Anyway, I was not trying to argue on that aspect, just that I am used
to kernrate (when you build using MSVC).
I normally used to build using MinGW/GCC but felt the need to work on
getting back the MSVC build too. I still find debugging with GDB on M$
not as good as debugging on GNU/Linux. Easier to use proprietary
debuggers on M$ as they can handle crash files which GDB cannot in its
current state. So, the lack of proper debugging support in GDB for M$
makes my use MSVC.

-dky

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!