Re: Build failure on M$ (using MSVC): Patch enclosed

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Build failure on M$ (using MSVC): Patch enclosed
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:40:59 +0530

Hi,
On 5/22/08, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> There is no necessity whatsoever to use the settings file mechanism for
>  global defaults.  Just set the appropriate variables in site-start.el.

The locate-dominating-file restricts me to see in folders that are in
the hierarchy of my HOME folder only. At work, I have my home folder
at a different mount point and development tree in a different mount
point. They do not share the same tree apart from the root '/'. If I
(and other users) need to have default settings for the build tree, I
would put it in the mount folder of the build tree. With the recent
changes, it will never see is as the tree does not share my HOME.

Ex:
Build dir:
/mnt/dev/build/users/dhruva/branch/...
Home:
/u/users/dhruva

Using "site-start.el" will affect all users, this will not provide me
the fine grained control that I will get using the folder structure.
 I use a similar thing for my BASH shell. Every directory I need to
change some values (like CVSROOT for different projects) will have a
local.bashrc which gets sources once I visit it. I use this traversal
back to find the most appropriate local.bashrc and find it quite
useful.

IMHO, it must go beyond the
>  On a different tack: why can't vc-find-root be made to use
>  locate-dominating-file?  One less bunch of heuristics to maintain.

Either one will do as long as we have one function so that it is easy
to fix and improve.

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!