Re: Build failure on M$ (using MSVC): Patch enclosed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Build failure on M$ (using MSVC): Patch enclosed
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:50 +0200

dhruva <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> On 5/22/08, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> There is no necessity whatsoever to use the settings file mechanism for
>>  global defaults.  Just set the appropriate variables in site-start.el.
>
> The locate-dominating-file restricts me to see in folders that are in
> the hierarchy of my HOME folder only.

No, it doesn't.

> At work, I have my home folder at a different mount point and
> development tree in a different mount point. They do not share the
> same tree apart from the root '/'. If I (and other users) need to have
> default settings for the build tree, I would put it in the mount
> folder of the build tree. With the recent changes, it will never see
> is as the tree does not share my HOME.

Have you actually _tried_ it?

> Ex:
> Build dir:
> /mnt/dev/build/users/dhruva/branch/...
> Home:
> /u/users/dhruva
>
> Using "site-start.el" will affect all users, this will not provide me
> the fine grained control that I will get using the folder structure.

Your previous example was about affecting all users, and
locate-dominating-file works perfectly well with the current example.

locate-dominating-file stops the traversal when it would pass from
within $HOME to outside, or when the traversal would change the owner of
the directory.  But it does not require the traversal to start within
$HOME or elsewhere.

> I use a similar thing for my BASH shell. Every directory I need to
> change some values (like CVSROOT for different projects) will have a
> local.bashrc which gets sources once I visit it. I use this traversal
> back to find the most appropriate local.bashrc and find it quite
> useful.

Could you _please_ provide a test case which you actually tried out and
which does not work as desired before complaining?

I can't see this to be the case right now.