Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:43:34 -0600

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark A Hershberger <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> However, you'll note that the spec still does not leave room for a BOM.
Mark> I don't know enough about UTF-8 encoding and XML to know if this
Mark> matters.

Note that this is an issue not just for XML files.  I recently added
some code to libcpp to ignore UTF-8 BOMs -- because some Windows
editors add them by default and because, supposedly, Visual Studio
requires them.

So, I think it would be nice for interoperability to handle them
properly, the same way Emacs handles different kinds of line endings.

Tom