Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 22:36:43 +0200

On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:19:52 +0200 Stephen Berman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:30:54 +0100 David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Berman wrote:
[...]
>>> This image shows split windows, with the Gnus Summary buffer on top and
>>> the Article buffer below.  The mode line of the Summary buffer has my
>>> customized mode-line face (Helvetica font as in variable-pitch face,
>>> plus over- and underlining).  The mode line of the Article buffer has
>>> mode-line-inactive face, which inherits from mode-line but overrides the
>>> weight attribute, making it light.
>>
>> One of the modelines sure doesn't *look* like helvetica ?
>
> In fact, it is to all appearances the same font as is used in the splash
> screen, and there I can use C-u C-x =, which shows this (on the first
> character after the image in the splash screen):
>
>         character: T (84, #o124, #x54)
> preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
>        code point: 0x54
>            syntax: w  which means: word
>          category: a:ASCII graphic characters 32-126 (ISO646 IRV:1983[4/0])
>                  l:Latin r:Japanese roman
>       buffer code: #x54
>         file code: not encodable by coding system utf-8-unix
>           display: by this font (glyph code)
>      -monotype-Andy MT-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-0-iso8859-1 (#x37)
>
> Character code properties are not shown: customize what to show
>
> There are text properties here:
>   auto-composed        t
>   face                 (variable-pitch (:foreground "red"))
>   help-echo            [Show]
>
> The face variable-pitch has only the font attribute set, to "helv".  I
> don't know why "monotype-Andy MT" shows up.  I mentioned in my previous
> post that changing certain attributes of variable-pitch face changes its
> appearance drastically.  In fact, it changes the font family.  For
> example, changing the width attribute to "narrow" results, according to
> C-u C-x =, in a font family of "monotype-Impact".

Here is a screen shot of my current mode line and Gnus Summary buffer,
in GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
2008-05-22 on escher, after Handa-san's latest changes:

PNG image

The (active) mode line face now displays Helvetica correctly.  Note,
however, that in the inactive mode line face the characters are wider,
although mode-line-inactive does not override the width attribute of
variable-pitch (changing the width attribute to "narrow" still results
in a font family of "monotype-Impact").  In addition, the broken
underlining remains (the image shows the spacing with
x-use-underline-position-properties set to nil), also in the Gnus
Summary buffer.  In the latter, the underlining to the right of the
vertical separator only appeared after moving the cursor over this
region; it disappears when the buffer does not have focus, or when the
mouse moves over it (it has a mouse-face overlay).  Note also that the
non-ascii characters (the vertical line and the curves and arrows used
for threading) look much worse than after the previous update: thin,
misaligned, and leaving vertical gaps.

Steve Berman